- Structure,courses and assessment
- Outcomes of the programme
- Teaching modes
- Admission requirements
- Application information
- Tuition fee
The postgraduate diploma is an online teaching programme supplemented with interactive satellite broadcasts. It is presented on a part-time basis and students attend a compulsory summer school from the 9th - 13th January 2017.
Students are assessed on a continuous basis throughout the year. Training is presented in 6 courses of 20 credits each and students must complete 120 credits to qualify for being awarded the diploma. If the diploma is completed with an average of 65% or higher, students qualify to enter the masters programme.
1. The problem of HIV/AIDS
- The HIV/AIDS epidemic
- The general macro-economic impact of HIV/AIDS
2. Socio-cultural aspects of HIV/AIDS
- Socio-cultural aspects
- Migration and poverty
3. HIV/AIDS policy and advocacy
- Legal framework and organisational practices regarding employment of workers with HIV/AIDS
- A labour relations perspective on HIV/AIDS
- Principles of policy development
- The process and content of an HIV/AIDS policy
4. Prevention and care for people living with HIV/AIDS
- Strategies for prevention and care
- Therapeutic management of HIV/AIDS
- Care for people living with HIV/AIDS
5. Management in the era of HIV/AIDS
- A business perspective on HIV/AIDS
- An individual perspective on HIV/AIDS
- Social responsibility and ethics
6. Research, monitoring and evaluation of HIV/AIDS programmes
- Research methodology
- Community/organisation mobilisation
- Impact prediction
By successfully completing the diploma, candidates will have acquired the knowledge, competencies and managerial skills to:
- formulate an HIV/AIDS workplace policy that is cost-effective and evidence-based, taking due account of the legal, ethical, social, economic and health issues
- influence and facilitate strategic and business planning, manage productivity and carry out performance assessment in the context of HIV/AIDS
- develop a comprehensive HIV/AIDS prevention and continuum of care programme
- implement legislation and policies affecting HIV/AIDS at work
- facilitate community support and community actions
- conduct labour planning for a future in which HIV/AIDS is prevalent
- monitor and assess HIV/AIDS prevention and care programmes
- assess the impact of HIV/AIDS in the workplace
- carry out a research project on HIV/AIDS in the workplace
In presenting the various modules of the programme the Africa Centre makes use of various modes of teaching, including:
- online teaching using Moodle (a leading provider of integrated e-learning systems for higher education)
- interactive satellite broadcasts
- projects that enable students to apply the knowledge, skills and attitudes learned
- analyses of case studies
- face-to face teaching during the summer school
- meeting role-players in the HIV/AIDS field
- site visits to projects to gain first-hand experience
The entry requirements for the diploma are:
- any bachelor’s degree or national higher diploma or equivalent
- work experience
- computer, internet and e-mail skills
Prospective students have to apply in writing before 31 October of the year prior to their studies.
Please ensure that you complete the two application forms:
1. The Africa Centre application form
2.Complete the University form online
Please follow these steps:
- Click on this link.
- Click on the “Continue with the application procedure” button at the bottom.
- Select the Telematic Education.
- The Faculty is -Economic and Management Sciences.
- Complete all the questions and proceed until the last page.
- You can pay the application fee with a credit card, or pay the amount into the Universities bank account.
- Please make sure that you follow all the instructions.
- You can submit the signed Africa Centre form by fax or email.
Tuition fee for 2016: R 24 020.00 (increase between 5% -12% for 2017)
Registration fee is ± R 7 700.00
Additional cost:Summer school one week 9th - 13th January 2017
Students are responsible for the payment of their own transport and accommodation during the summer school.
The Africa Centre can assist with accomodation in the University Residence; more information will be sent with acceptance documents.